Caramel apples are a great make ahead treat that can be given to guests, served at a party or just a little Saturday afternoon snack if you’re like me.Material Needed:
- Granny Smith Apples (tip- look for apples that don’t tilt)
- Soft Caramel Chews (around 1/3 pound per apple)
- Toppings (tip- ice cream stores sell toppings which saves $ and you get a better assortment!)
- Lollipop Sticks
- Wax Paper
- Remove the stem and wash and dry your apples
- Hammer the lollipop stick through the center of the apple
- In a saucepan, melt your caramel on a super low heat stirring constantly (be patient so as not to burn it)
- Once the caramel is ready, roll your apple through the hot caramel coating all sides
- Immediately pour toppings over the outside of the apple
- Place on wax paper to dry
The process was fairly simple but I might try adding milk next time to make the caramel a bit thinner.
FYI- Don’t touch the caramel before it has had a chance to dry. It gets hotter than it looks and my finger sure would have appreciated this tip. Ouch!