Things I’m Afraid to Tell You
I don’t fluff my blog posts with words I don’t use in real life. I find words like swoon, blooms, and baubles silly and overused and I just assume say, love, flowers and jewelry. And I think it’s safe to say that you read my blog because I keep it real and share my struggles in small business ownership and life but there are plenty of things I’m afraid to tell you and it’s no accident I omit them from the blog.
The Things I’m Afraid to Tell You Challenge started when Jess wrote THIS honest post about things she was afraid to share with her readers. It snowballed through the blog and prompting some 50+ bloggers (myself included) to take part. The lovely Ez from Creature Comforts managed to effortlessly pull us all together in a matter of days to make this challenge a reality.
So here goes, these are the Things I’m Afraid to Tell YOU my dear reader!
- I lie when asked where I went to college. I went to Texas A&M University-Commerce (truth). Unless you are very familiar with Texas, when I respond with “I went to Texas A&M-Commerce” people only hear “I went to Texas A&M” so I started omitting the “Commerce” part which is fine until you tell someone you went to Texas A&M and then they say they did too and you have to backtrack and tell them that it was a different campus. Weird looks usually follow and I’m embarrassed.
- My spelling is horrendous. When writing handwritten notes, I’ll either type them out first or I’ll change what I want to say to what I know how to spell. Not good. Not good at all.
- Sometimes I’m embarrassed to tell people I don’t know well that my husband is a doctor because I think they will have a preconceived idea that we are loaded. We’re not. I still worry about money every day and could tell you down to the dollar how much money I made last month. At this point in my venture I couldn’t support myself without him (I would be back at my 9-5). That feels shitty.
- I’m panicked at the thought of failing. I just quit my full-time job to pursue my creative passions. I doubt myself daily and these days I cry more often than I can remember in recent years (P.S. – I cried while writing this post. I didn’t want to tell you that. But I just did.)
- I’m not confident in my graphic design skills yet I sell stationery. Requests for custom orders are the worst.
- I’m working on a new venture that I hope to launch within the next week (hence the lightness in blog posts as of late). I’m scared that the website won’t look professional enough. I couldn’t pay to have the website done by a professional. As per usual, I’m doing it and I’m making shit up as I go.
- I was recently told that I’m really good at shutting people down without even trying. OUCH. Double ouch that it’s true. I need to be more patient and remember that sometimes people just need to get it out and they just need you to listen.
So there you have it. The things that I am afraid to tell you. Maybe you’re compelled to create and share a list of your own? Do it.